Farmer’s Spinach Quiche
- 10 cups (2.5 L) well-washed fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) Ontario canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125mL) onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup (125 mL) ricotta cheese
- 3 farm fresh eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) 35% cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) fresh dill, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) grated parmesan (or Montasio) cheese from Paron Cheese Co.
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Steam the fresh spinach until just wilted. Press the water out and set aside.
Heat the oil in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook the onions until soft but not brown. In a large bowl, mix ricotta, eggs, cream, flour, melted butter and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Add the prepared spinach and tomatoes. Mix thoroughly and pour into the skillet over the onions.
Sprinkle Parmesan or Montassio cheese over the top and bake until set, about 45 minutes or until top browns. Let the quiche cool for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
“The second in the Niagara Cooks series, Niagara Cooks, a seasonal attitude is all about a new attitude towards eating local. Niagara Cooks, a seasonal attitude takes advantage of the regions seasonal harvests and the ever-changing moods, colors and flavour of the seasons with 96 quick and easy recipes organized by season for timely market shopping and complete menus that fit snugly into anyone’s kitchen. ”
Niagara Cooks – a seasonal attitude